Sunday 24 June 2012

Returning home


Leaving the guys down in the south as they were to carry on to Blantyre and I was to return home as my three weeks annual leave was up, I felt sad. Peter made it better when he said how great I had been as audiologist and a team member connecting with everyone on the trip.

Before leaving for the airport I stayed one more night with the bartletts and Mwasoni came round in the morning with a painting he had made me, an ABC shirt and a bracelet he made me with my name on it, it was such a lovely thing for him to do . I also met his beautiful  son Raphael. Mwasoni - star :)

On my flight travels home my thoughts were filled with what a brilliant trip and experience I had had and that I had finally done something like this. They say with such things you try it and love it or you find it too hard. Well I loved it, audiology in developing countries is something I will be doing again, and is something more audiologists should do. I have learnt this is something I really feel I can help , that I  manage travelling alone fine , intergrating with new team members well . I do need to work on my sign language and although audiologists arent trained to remove wax in the UK, that I will find a course to do so because it is a big barrier in areas where a Dr is not present to perform what we need to do.

Malawi - the warm heart of Africa

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgL_YEqoAn8 I put together a little video - if you liked my blog have a look.  :- ) x

1 comment:

  1. Rach,
    I have only just found your blog (after a year!!). I really enjoyed reading and reminiscing.
    The 2013 ASU team flies out in two days after another full and fabulous visit.
    I hope you're thinking about your next trip to Lilongwe!
    God Bless.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete