Sunday 10 June 2012

Mayoka Village -nkhata bay


On the eve of leaving Karonga we had a leaving meal with the teachers and two representatives from the australian mining company. The picture above shows our first touch experience of lake malawi. We had dinner right next to it, I still wonder what the view would have been like at day time. This was the beginning to our lake adventure.

We headed to our next stop which was to be "our day to relax by the lake" took about 4 hours to get there.
I kept thinking to swim or not to swim, I brought no swimming costume to make sure I didnt, however our first proper glimpse of the lake was absolutely beautiful.  Mayoka Village was run by a brittish lady and south african partner. It had a british feel to it, mind you malawi itself has its own british feel to it besides the same plugs and same side of the road and signs.
I was to share my room tonight with 3 of the ABC girls who were lovely and fun. I didnt mind this at all becuase I wanted to get to know everyone and they were keen to swim where as other internationals werent. With the thoughts of my cousins wife whos a Doctor saying go for it when I was back home... I couldnt help it, when the opportunity arose, I was straight in there!

 our stay was right on the lake with a reef right there ...had to be snorkelled !:) 
My new friend Shar (one of the US team) was very up for joining me which was fab, we had a swim with the ABC girls and then rented a canoe which was so much fun. 
 allinane, prisca and patricia and my home for the night.... newts crawling on the walls, lake view. FAB :)
We finally had a chance to chill in the company of eachother and get to know eachother outside of our common goal to help those in malawi with hearing difficulty.

Our one day and night here did not feel long enough ... will be a future visit here one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment